The Raven Boys

The Raven Boys - Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.When I started this book, I was already basing my opinions on the cover and the blurb: I thought that it would be amazing, based on those two elements. Just those two things. Shallow? Yes. Yes it was--but it was true. I can honestly say that this book can mess with your mind something fierce, and that it was completely different than what I expected.I expected a dark paranormal romance, probably set around the sixteen hundreds, and maybe including a witch hunt or some other thing like that. I was wrong, and I honestly don't know where I got that picture--the blurb says nothing like that. I can only imagine weird things, I guess. I will admit that I'm a little dissapointed, though.In my weird imaginings, I also imagined the "Raven Boys" being literal. Like them being part raven, which would've been crazy cool, but alas, was not true. I don't know where I got this weird storyline though! It's crazy. It's probably something that I've made up in my head and totally forgotten about.In the beginning, I can honestly say that I had no idea where this story was going. Things that became key plot elements in the book later were just being thrown out there for no apparent reason, and I wasn't that sure about my confusion level--it was high, and it didn't go down until I'd gotten about halfway through, and suddenly all the plot elements just kind of clicked. It all made perfect sense. Click.Gansey and Blue--I'm really not sure that I can explain them enough to make them the way I saw them--real. Each of the characters had their own quirks, their own little thing that they did, that made them who they were. Gansey's was that crazy notebook, and the fact that he was so fully obsessed with a dead Celtic king. Blue's was her "energy". She could take anyone and make them stronger, faster, louder. Adam, Ronan, and Noah need less explaining, but only because they're secondary characters.They could've been better--I'll freely admit that. But I enjoyed reading about them. I never saw Noah coming, nor did I ever really understand Adam's whole "I'm poor, everyone hates me and I'm white trash" brigade. I do have one of the biggest crushes ever on Ronan, though, so there is that. Oh, and this book is the proud winner of the most epic last sentence ever award. ^.^ Favorite Quote:The way Gansey saw it was this: If you had a special knack for finding things, it meant you owed it to the world to look.