City of Ashes - Cassandra Clare Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.Ooh, book ends on cliffhanger. Megan--"No!! Why must authors do this to me!" *collapses on floor sobbing*Because I'm a crazy person, I've been re-reading the Mortal Instruments series, in preparation for the last book's release. And I'm finding that while I like them, they're not enough to have me tearing through the pages like a mad-woman, barely being able to keep track of my thoughts. I actually find this series to be kind of slow. The events are spread out, and it's kind of killing me. This one was a faster read than the last one, (because it had more things going on) but it's still mercilessly slow. I know that so many people love this series, but I just...don't. I like it. Like is not affiliated with Love. I love books, but I only like this one. *My rant of like is over now.*So...where to start. Honestly, I thought that Jace really grew in this one, because in the first one, everything just kind of rolls off his back, and seems unaffected by anything. I'm glad that we finally get to see some emotion from him. (Other than sarcasm. Sarcasm is an emotion, right?) I was so excited when we actually got some real Jace scenes! I know that there's a reason why everything rolls off his back, but I like seeing his outer shell crack. ;)Now. Clary. Where can I start with her? I really don't understand her character at all! Sometimes she seems so tough and ready to take on the world, and then, BAM. She's curled up in the fetal position in one corner crying and whining. I know, I know. She's a YA character. It's expected. But I can't help but wish that she was more tough on the inside.Overall, I thought that this book was better than the last one, (event-wise, character development) but I just don't love this series. It's official now. I'm in a reading slump. :(