Breathe

Breathe - Abbi Glines

Other reviews at The Book Babe's Reads

I'm going to come right out and say that I expected more from Glines - I read and loved her Vincent Brothers, and I put all of that expectation into Breathe. Let's just say that it didn't exactly turn out the way I had planned. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. Breathe was a plenty sweet read, but I felt like the romance was very... cliched.

I felt like Sadie and Jax really didn't have time to get to know each other. They fell in love really quickly, and suddenly they're just saying and doing cheesy things all the time. I'm not a fan of the cheese, to tell you the truth. Something like "you're my air" being repeated over and over just makes me roll my eyes, and I can't help it!

It was super hard for me to connect with Sadie. I don't feel like she ever just let herself go, or that she ever just acted like a teenager. So I just can't relate to her - she's too stiff. Jax was okay, I guess, but he only got about 1/3 book time, compared to Sadie.

I felt like the "choice" between Marcus and Jax was ridiculously understated. I'm really, really glad that she only loved one of them (and I'm not sure she's actually in love), but that part of the story passed so quickly that it was just kind of like a speed bump. And I really felt bad for Marcus. Nitzan pointed out that everything he did was for himself, but I really thought that he was a sweet guy. I'm definitely interested to see his story in Because of Low!

There were a few fluttery moments in this one, but I feel like they were ruled by a bunch of drama (one particular instance towards the end had me rolling my eyes), and they mean less like that to me. I think it's ridiculous when characters push each other away, even if there's a good reason - and in this case, there really wasn't. I didn't particularly care for the ending.

All in all, Breathe was a cute read, but it's definitely not one of my favorite Glines books.

Source: http://thebookbabesreads.com